Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2018

Another Right Wing Pundit Nugget!

I’m Glad I Got Booed at CPAC (Mona Charon) from the New York Times
"... this time, and particularly in front of this crowd, it felt far more urgent to point out the hypocrisy of our side. How can conservative women hope to have any credibility on the subject of sexual harassment or relations between the sexes when they excuse the behavior of President Trump? ... I watched my fellow panelists’ eyes widen. And then the booing began.  I’d been dreading it for days, but when it came, I almost welcomed it. There is nothing more freeing than telling the truth."
I have NEVER liked Mona Charon.  She has always seemed to me to be way too ideologically straight-jacketed -- so I am glad to see her breaking with her crowd.  Having said that, there is so much about her column that speaks to where the conservative movement went wrong.  Example: she says at the end of the column, "Just before I reached the exit, a woman approached me and called my name. “That was so brave!” she told me. She was one of my fellow panelists."  This fellow panelist spoke at CPAC, took the big payday, mouthed some alt-right bromides and will live large on all the follow-on business that comes from it,  This, despite the fact she was unwilling to speak the truth.  Charon herself for years was one of those folks who were featured speakers on high-priced, donor ass-kissing cruises.  For so many of these people (and I include the Limbaughs and Inghrams in this conversation), they are too addicted to the big paydays that come with being a right-wing talking head.  What can you say about a crowd that continues to this day to milk 1990s era Bill and Hilary stories to keep their readers/listeners tuned in and hopping mad?!  -- Nuggetsman

No comments: